Computer security is not only a very interesting field, but it is expected to offer a large number of employment opportunities for qualified individuals over the next several years. As electronic threats become more sophisticated, the demand for people who are qualified to prevent, detect and combat them will increase.
The Computer and Information Security concentration of a Computer Science degree program agives students an overview of programming, computer architecture, and operating systems. It also prepares them for careers with law enforcement agencies, banks and software development companies.
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- B.S. in Information Technology - Information System Security
- B.S. in Information Technology - Business System Analysis
- B.S. in Information Technology - Multimedia and Visual Communication
- And more...
Southwest Florida College is listening to employers and striving to embrace what they say are the skills that students need upon graduating. Upon completion of the program, graduates can possess the knowledge and skills that their respective industry expects.
- B.S. - Information Technology & Security Systems
- B.S. - Cyber Technology and Security
- Network Security
Continue your education with Strayer University. We offer convenient degree options designed with the working adult in mind — study online, on campus in the evening and weekends, or through a combination of both.
- MSIS: Computer Security Management
- BSIS: Homeland Security Management
- BSCJ: Computer Security and Forensics
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions.
- MBA - Information Security Management
- Information Technology, AS (Online)
- Graduate Certificate-Information Security
Keiser University offers accredited degree programs in today's in demand careers: Healthcare, Technology, Paralegal, Business, Nursing and Legal Studies.
- Information Security, MS
- Cyber Forensics/Information Security, BS
- Information Technology, AS
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Bachelors Degree, Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- AS - Computer Science: Concentration in Network Security
- Certificate - Network Security
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Technical Institute. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Computer Networking and Security
- Information Systems Security
- Computer Technology
The person considering this concentration must have an excellent eye for detail. He or she will need good analytical skills. This type of work requires good judgment and decision-making abilities. Well developed time management skills are also required for success in this field.
The ability to think outside the box is important as well. The security expert will need to be able to anticipate potential threats, as well as have strategies for dealing with them appropriately once they have been discovered. Since this field also includes positions where a person would be working on developing new applications, student considering this program will need to be able to appreciate how humans and computers interact if they wish to develop user-friendly information systems which are also secure.
A graduate from the Computer Security and Information concentration may also be involved in instructing others in the proper use of computer devices, which means that excellent verbal and written skills are required.
Computer and Information Security Concentration Curriculum
A student enrolled in the Computer Security concentration can expect to take courses in the following topics:
- Software Engineering
- Discrete Mathematics
- Data Communications
- Operating Systems
- Digital Logic
- Artificial Intelligence
- Expert Systems
- Real Time Systems
- Systems Administration of Computation
- Fault Tolerance
- Computer Programming
- Data Structures and Recitation
- Systems Programming and Recitation
- Operating Systems and Recitation
- Analysis of Algorithms
These courses are meant to give students an understanding of how computer networks work, as well as familiarizing them with database systems and their operation. Along with the required courses for a Computer Science degree, students will also take specialty courses, such as:
- Security Management
- Internet Security
- Models of Security
- Database Security
- Network Security
- Computer Security
- Formal Methods for Insuring Security
- Principles of Computer and Information Security
- UNIX and Network Security
Career Options for Computer and Information Security Concentration
Some career choices for graduate of the computer and information security program are as follows:
- Information Security Crime Investigator
- Forensic Analyst
- Security Analyst
- Security Auditor
- Intrusion Analyst
- Vulnerability Researcher
- Security Operations Center Analyst
- Malware Analyst
- Incident Responder
- Network Penetration Tester
- Systems Administrator
- Information System Security Officer
A Computer and Information Security graduate who is interested in going to the forensics field would probably need to start with an entry-level position in information security. This type of specialty field would likely require a master’s degree or higher. Several years of on-the-job experience would also be needed for high-ranking position in the computer security field.
Featured Top-ranked Programs
1. Kaplan University - BSIT - Application Development
2. Rasmussen College - Computer Science
3. Everest Universiy - Computer Information Science
4. Walden University - BS - Computer Information Systems