A Computer Science student who chooses the Management Information Systems concentration takes a number of business courses along with computer science ones. As a result, they are well versed in modern technology, as well as an overview of how the entire business operates.
The Management Information Systems concentration is not easier or less challenging than other Computer Science degree programs. This curriculum is just as challenging as other Computer Science concentrations offered at the post-secondary level. It is a good fit for someone who enjoys working with technology, is a good problem solver and logical thinker, and who is also interested in working with people. For this reason, good verbal and written communication skills are imperative.
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- M.B.A. - Technology Management
- Doctor of Mgmt/IS and Technology
- M.B.A. - Project Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions.
- Management Information Systems (MIS), BS (Online)
- Information Technology Management, BS (Online)
Continue your education with Strayer University. We offer convenient degree options designed with the working adult in mind — study online, on campus in the evening and weekends, or through a combination of both.
- BBA: Management Information Systems
- MBA: Information Systems Management
- MSIS: Information Systems Management
- And more...
Keiser University offers accredited degree programs in today's in demand careers: Healthcare, Technology, Paralegal, Business, Nursing and Legal Studies.
- Management Information Systems, BS (Online Only)
- Information Technology Management, BS (Online Only)
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Management - Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Business Administration - Information Technology
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems/Software Development Mgmt
- And more...
- BS - Management Information Systems
- Graduate Certificate-Information Systems Management
- Master's-Information Systems Management
- Master of Science in Information System Management
- Information Systems - BS
- Bachelor of Science in Business Information Systems
Someone who is considering majoring in Management Information Systems at the post-secondary level should focus on taking a variety of subjects in high school. Math and science are important, but these classes should be rounded out with English, history and other offerings
A person who is enrolled in this program at university will need to complete a number of general education courses as part of the requirements to obtain a degree. The general education portion of the curriculum is made up of math, science, social science, humanities and arts courses. Course titles and the number of general education courses will vary, depending on the particular university.
Management Information Systems Curriculum
A student in the Management Information Systems concentration can expect to take courses similar to the following:
- Introduction to Business Programming
- Fundamentals of Management Information Systems
- Business Analysis and Design
- Introduction to Telecommunications
- Introduction to Database Management Systems
- Business Systems and Information Systems
- Advanced Business Programming
- Business Strategy and Advanced Telecommunications
- Advanced Database Management Systems
- Security System and Operating Systems
- Network Design
- Principles of Information Systems
- Project Management Methods
- Database Management
- Principles of Networking
The business courses required to graduate from this degree program will include courses in these topics:
- Business Calculus
- Financial Accounting and Business Statistics
- Legal Environment of Business
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Fundamentals of Operations Management
- Fundamentals of Management and Organization Behavior
- Fundamentals of Finance
- Global Dimensions of Business
- Quantitative Business Analysis
- Introduction to Business
- Introduction to Information Systems
- Operations and Logistics Management
- Business Policy and Prodigy
Career Options for Management Information Systems Graduates
Graduates from this degree concentration are qualified for entry level positions at medium and large corporations. A job seeker should look for employment opportunities with the following titles:
- Project manager
- Systems analyst
- Online program specialist
- Computer network architect
- Online computer consultant
- Internet service provider president
- Computer software trainer
- Computer programmer
- Computer help desk technician
- Database specialist
- Desktop publisher
- Information systems technician
- Multimedia designer
- Multimedia developer
- Network user support manager
A person holding an undergraduate degree in Management Information Systems may want to continue his or her education and obtain a Master’s degree in Computer Science. While the undergraduate degree will qualify him or her for entry-level positions, in many cases employers are looking for candidates with a Master’s degree and several years of practical work experience when they are recruiting for management level opportunities.
Featured Top-ranked Programs
1. Kaplan University - BSIT - Application Development
2. Rasmussen College - Computer Science
3. Everest Universiy - Computer Information Science
4. Walden University - BS - Computer Information Systems